Welcome to January’s edition of our charitable outcomes blog, where we let you know how the hard earned money that you spend with us helps us to support the local community.
What a month it has been! A fantastic start to the year, with lots of meetings and interesting chats with other service providers in the area to see how we can collaborate on some of our projects.
The highlight of this month however, has to be the incredibly generous donation of soaps, bath bombs and other cosmetic luxuries from the amazing team at LUSH UK. Very sadly, we saw our friends at LUSH Telford depart the town after 11 years. On their way out, their generous gift helped us raise enough money to support 30 people with career deveopment for the next 12 months.
January 2018 has also seen new volunteers join our team and the launch of two new social projects, TalkTLC Loneliness Project, and The Community Food Project.
TalkTLC, breaking the cycle of loneliness, together
Loneliness can be an all-consuming feeling, and prolonged loneliness can leave us with mental and physical health illness, which could have a lasting affect on our lives. It is not just the older generation that experience loneliness; it can affect all of us, at any age or stage in our lives. In fact, chronic loneliness is such an epidemic that the British government has appointment a ‘Minister for Loneliness’ to tackle the problem.
The #TalkTLC campaign aims to stamp out loneliness in as many communities as possible. If you are chronically lonely, would like to join a cause that supports people exactly like you, or would simply like a friend to talk to, then we are here to help.
To find out more about the #TalkTLC project, or to offer your support as a Social Volunteer, please get in touch.
The Community Food Project
This is a place where members of the community can come together to share information, knowledge, recipes, and top foodie tips to support each other, and as a result collectively help to reduce the impact of food poverty and food waste.
Join our Facebook group to learn more.
Also this month we have:
- Facilitated the generous donations of football boots and kit to the Embrace PE project from NC United FC.
- Launched our partnership with Social Enterprise UK to help to upskill employees, interns, volunteers and support staff that work within the framework of social enterprises across the country.
- Continued to build our social supermarket, which has supported hundreds of people locally with low cost food and living essentials.
- Our delivery van has been used out-of-hours to support West Mercia Search and Rescue move kit from their base in Shifnal to new facilities in Bridgnorth, saving the charity the cost of van hire, diesel and manpower.
- Supported community groups, scout groups, local charities and individuals with the giveaway of more than 4000 individual bags of Walker’s Crisps!
One blog post simply doesn’t seem enough to highlight everything that has happened here at Shropshire Community Project and the Telford Community Store this month. As always, we really couldn’t do it without the support of our staff, volunteers and supporters, so please continue to donate, shop with us, and just pop by and say hello, so we can do the things we do to help everyone in our community.