Our aim is to support those in our local community that are in need of help, we believe that no-one should every face a problem on their own.
Many services in our local community that support those in a time of need are funded by local councils. Unfortunately, in years to come that much needed funding may reduce, or worse, stop all together. That is where we come in, the profits that we make from our retail shop online and in-store sales go towards making Shropshire a brilliant community for all.
We offer you great products and service. And the money we make helps improve your community.
It is a place where you can shop for new, high quality, great value furniture, but with a difference…we are more than just a furniture retailer, we are a Charity and Community Interest Company.
All profits circulate back into the community, whether that is to the local charities we support or ongoing local projects. We believe your home should reflect your personality and be a haven for you and your family, to relax in after a long day. So, no matter what you are looking for, we have something to suit every room, every style and every budget. We are passionate about what we do, and you can shop with confidence knowing that the money you spend will benefit others. Visit one of our stores today, or shop online now.
Shropshire Community Project Overview
Shropshire Community Project (SCP) is a not for profit organisation supporting projects and charities in the local area. We do this through the donation of furniture to local homeless charities and donation of funds to Crisis Support Charities to ensure that no one in the community of Shropshire goes without the basic essentials to keep their families sheltered, fed and clothed. We also donate our time and facilities to support local projects and charities in their fundraising efforts.
In addition to supporting local charities and projects we are also instrumental in reducing the amount of reusable furniture, clothes and bric-a-brac that are going to landfill waste. Over the last 24 months we have prevented over 200 tonnes of items being sent to landfill.
We collect donations free of charge from anywhere across Shropshire. These items are then cleaned, refurbished and offered for resale at very low prices to anyone in need of low cost furniture. In addition to this we sell a range of major new brands both from our online retail store and our retail outlets in the centres of Telford and Shrewsbury. All profits generated from both our new and reused sales are used to support projects and charities in the local community, and in the last 24 months we have had over 2,700 customers.
From our retail outlets we also run an employability programme. Our programme is designed to be a platform for those people looking to secure work after long term unemployment due to ill health etc. Clients in receipt of a variety of DWP benefits from Job Seekers Allowance to Employment Support Allowance are placed with us participating in our voluntary programme over a period of 8 weeks. Our friendly structured scheme helps support those people with low confidence regain forgotten skills through targeted coaching in a variety of areas such as CV writing, interview techniques and sales and marketing, with the aim of helping them secure permanent long term employment. Our programme provides a good foundation for a better community as it inspires service users to better themselves through supporting other people in crisis. In 12 months we have supported over 280 people through our employability support programme, with 72 people returning to long term employment.
· Administration of Wheel Chair loans and sales for the Shropshire branch of British Red Cross, saving them administration costs and raising over £6,000 in support funds in 12 months.
· Donated over £3,000 in furniture to help furnish rooms for Maninplace homeless support Charity in Telford.
· Supported with the operation and fundraising for the following Maninplace events raising over £6,500. Mattress Carry, Spud Supper, Brick buy a Brick, bleak midwinter.
· Provided operational support to distribute freezers and food on behalf of Telford Crisis support, to support homeless people through Maninplace (105 residents), Stay (100 residents) and YMCA (50 residents).
· Provided operational support through vehicle and man power resource to CAB, Maninplace and Taking Part to put on a fund raising fashion show which raised over £4,000.
· Provided operational support to Stay to assist them in the annual sleep out 3 years running. Assisting with transportation of event equipment, set up and removal of equipment and marshalling of the event.
· Donated over £400 of office furniture and prams to support YMCA.
· Donated over £400 off office furniture to support CAB.
· Donated in excess off £20,000 to Telford Crisis Support (TCS) directly from SCP through the sale of new and reused furniture.
· Provide TCS with ongoing management and consultancy support, including training 2 new staff members. Also supported the TCS foodbank ball as a guest speaker which raised over £3,500.
· Raised over £32,000 in 12 months through the sale of clothes and bric-a-brac which has been split between the following charities, TCS, Maninplace, Stay, YMCA, British Red Cross, Age Uk and CAB.
· 7 people regularly volunteering at our Telford store.
· Provided support to 10 teenagers completing their Duke of Edinburgh training.
· Supported Lloyds Bank when they came to our Telford store to volunteer for a corporate away day.
· Supported TCAT students who came to our Telford store to shoot a video as part of their media studies course.
· Match funded £325 with Stay to pay the deposit to secure accommodation for a homeless person and his dog.
· Provide operational support to run the food bank from the Telford store on a weekend, which is outside their normal operating hours. We fill the gap that the service provider is unable to cover allowing 7 days a week crisis support. Telford council have also provided us with 15 emergency gas and electric cards so we can be a crisis point for referrals outside of TCS hours.
· Donated £250 of furniture to the 1968 Foundation which supports homeless veterans. Also employed one of their service users and supported 5 service users through volunteering.
· Donation and collection point for the Shrewsbury Food bank.
· Ongoing storage provided free of charge for the Shropshire Youth Association allowing them to store equipment for 17 youth clubs and saving them approximately £1,000 per month in storage fees.
· Set up a homeless outreach project in Shrewsbury using a mobile unit to provide hot food and drinks and also day to day usage items such as warm clothes, Sleeping bags, Ruck Sacks, Hats, Gloves, Socks, Underwear, toothpaste and tooth brushes one night a week.
· In association with Councillor Jon Tandy donated a £1,700 mobility scooter to an elderly person who had been house bound for 18 months.
· Provided a consultancy Service to 2 other Social Enterprises assisting them with their set up.
· Delivered a presentation to the local Community Police outlining the support that SCP can provide them. Since the presentation 5 police officers have utilise SCP to assist clients in crisis. We have provided them with £130 in furniture, and also food and clothes donations.
· Ongoing support 2 days a week for the Telford store to be used as a drop in point for Thrive to provide a floating support service for Maninplace, Stay, YMCA and Bromford to meet their clients.
· Hosted a TCAT NVQ course in Customer Service for 6 weeks, providing a temporary training suit for 17 mature students to utilise free of charge, saving them £1,500 per head.
· 11 volunteers taken on as permanent staff.
· Donated a dining table to the African Steel band community centre.
· Donated cookers and microwaves to Yellow Ribbon, a charity that helps re-engage ex-offenders with the local community.
· 200 duvets collected from the Holiday Inn and distributed to The 1968 Foundation, Yellow Ribbon, YMCA, Maninplace, Stay and Telford & Wrekin Council.
· Helped The 2014 & 2015 Christmas Smile project collect and distribute over 300 gifts to families and elderly people.
· Donated a wardrobe to Lakeside Garden centre to use in their 2014 Santa’s grotto, through which they raised money to support the local air ambulance.
· Orchestrated the refurbishment of the Telford Foodbank Café in Easter 2014, which has gone on to feed the vulnerable and lonely in Telford for 18 months in conjunction with the Springfield Church.
· Provided a free of charge removal service to support a local Ghurkha in conjunction with SAFA.
· Funded the running costs of the Telford Community Car which was used to assist in crisis support by both SCP and TSC.
· Supported the housing of a 54 year old homeless male who visited the Telford Community Store in crisis due to weather conditions and personal support needs.
Meet the Team
We are a team of dedicated professionals, ready to do what ever it takes to support those in our community that are in need of help